Community & Experience Director
House of Sport by Dick’s Sporting Goods is more than just a store. It is a destination, an experience, a place where athletes can experiment and play. A retail store devoted to sport where our community can gather and be inspired. We are fundamentally changing retail by elevating these experiences, delivering first in class service, obsessing over our athletes, inspiring our teammates, and challenging retail norms.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workforce, reflecting the communities we serve. On our team, everyone plays a critical role in creating confidence and excitement by personally equipping athletes to achieve their dreams.
If you are ready to obsess over the athlete and make a difference in your community, apply to join our team today!
WHAT YOU'LL DO IN THIS ROLE
House of Sport by Dick’s Sporting Goods is more than just a store, it’s a destination, an experience, a place where athletes can experiment and play. A house devoted to sport where our community can gather and be inspired. We are fundamentally changing retail by elevating these experiences, delivering first in class service, obsessing over our athletes, inspiring our teammates, and challenging retail norms.
The Community & Experience director will lead a team that builds community partnerships, plans, markets, and oversees the execution of store events & experiences and the daily operations of the Front-End Athlete Experience. This role is charged with building meaningful community relationships that drive new customer acquisition, store traffic and experience participation resulting in sales revenue, brand awareness and elevated Athlete Experience metrics. This role must be able to communicate expectations and hold a team accountable for meeting and achieving established goals, brand &, operational standards, and athlete-first service level expectations.
Specific responsibilities include oversight for end-to-end planning, execution, ROI analysis for event activations at DICK’S House of Sport outdoor track, field, and seasonal ice rink programming (camps, classes, clinics, field trips and partnership events), indoor batting cage product trial and experience, golf simulator fittings and instruction, indoor climbing wall sessions and activities. Additional responsibilities include driving the front-end athlete experience (customer services and equipment services areas) by ensuring teammates are engaging every athlete and creating awareness for House of Sport events and activities and delivering outlined service levels.
You are responsible for setting the new standard for experiential retail programming.
COMMUNITY & EXPERIENCE OVERSIGHT
- Responsible for all community partnerships and managing a team of specialists and subject matter experts focused on building partnerships within the community and leveraging these partnerships to create innovative and unique in-store experiences and revenue generating events in support of the House of Sport location.
- Responsible for managing the daily store core components to ensure a great experience for Athletes and Teammates.
- Responsible for partnering with store leadership to drive the highest level of customer service throughout the store, ensuring our teammates are driving the DICK’S Common Purpose and delivering hassle-free, engaging, athlete first service.
- Oversight for creation, marketing, facilitation and support for In-store DICK’S House of Sport coaching camps and clinics, vendor activations, and in-store events and experiences.
- Responsible for front end athlete experience & operations including customer service and equipment service staffing to support House of Sport Experiences and elevated service levels.
- Responsible for driving key company initiatives such as in store credit, NSPP, and Scorecard Program. This will include the training and validation that the Teammates are knowledgeable, understand the company goals, and are actively engaged with reaching those goals.
- Oversight of Golf Pro role and the experiences that are connected to the role
- Takes time to gain a deep understanding of both industry, regional and competitor trends
- Partner with the DICK’S Foundation to drive Sports Matter initiatives, creating a focus on the impact we’re making in youth sports.
- Proactively and reactively create, promote and/or maintain teammate, press, consumer and public goodwill, brand loyalty. Establishing and reinforcing that DICK’S is a proud, good, corporate citizen.
GREAT PLACE TO WORK
- Hires and builds effective hourly and salaried community marketing and events and athlete experience teams by ensuring a diverse mix of backgrounds, skillsets, perspectives, and expertise are adequately represented; recruits and hires the best with key emphasis on experts in key categories; creates a feeling of belongness and strong team morale; establishes common objectives and a shared mindset to ensure alignment and cohesion
- Responsible for partnering with the leadership team to drive the highest level of customer service throughout the store, ensuring our teammates are driving the DICK’S Common Purpose and delivering hassle-free, engaging, athlete-first service.
- Actively recruits within the community to ensure the store’s teammates reflect the communities that it serves
- Directly involved in hiring and interviewing (e.g., completing the last interview), partners with store leaders to make the final decision on candidates; stays connected to the current talent gaps and hires appropriately to ensure coverage
- Builds a people-first culture by consistently connecting with every teammate and building trust; actively listens and dedicates time to their development and career interests, staying invested in their well-being, and seeking to understand any roadblocks (personally and professionally)
- Coaches and develops oneself and others by infusing learning into day-to-day leading; places an equal priority on development and accountability through motivation, hands-on coaching, regular exposure, and stretch assignments; builds development plans in partnership with teammates when necessary
- Communicates regularly and transparently with teammates at all levels, understanding that honesty and clear communication channels are enablers of overall team success.
- Partners with store teammates to understand their passion and skillset to create and host one of a kind events and experiences at DICK’s House of Sport.
GREAT PLACE TO SHOP
- Creates a store environment where everyone feels welcome and safe
- In partnership with the Director/Leadership Team, will drive conversations and hold working sessions to develop an advanced programming schedules (30 days + ) to ensure appropriate event preparation, marketing, scheduling and communication to maximize participation and athlete experience.
- In Partnership with the leadership team, will drive teammate awareness to revenue and service level goals – supporting customer interaction, checkout metrics and service programs to support a hassle-free athlete experience
- Responsible for meeting budgets in the areas of sales, expense, all Profit & Loss (P&L) categories, metrics and overall store contribution. Partner with leadership team for visibility and support for achieving goals.
- Plans teammate schedules in advance by assessing events or initiatives coming down the pipeline and planning hours / coverage accordingly by using the workforce management tool on a regular basis
- Focuses on the strong connection between athlete satisfaction and teammate engagement; leverages insights to drive a culture that equally prioritizes the employee experience and hassle-free shopping
- Adhere to established policies and procedures related to safety, loss prevention and standard operating procedures, as well as to laws and guidelines of external governing entities.
GREAT PLACE TO INVEST
- Regularly conducts data digs using financial and operational tools (e.g., balance scorecard, P&L, Intera, etc.) to uncover business trends beyond the surface and leverage insights when building out financial and operational strategies for the store; controls expenses and drives sales to maximize ROI
- Establishes a vision and sets direction by enabling teammates to understand how their responsibilities and actions directly align to the common purpose and overall performance and success of the company; motivates and inspires while setting expectations to bring out the best in everyone
- Responsible for meeting budgets in the areas of sales, expense, all Profit & Loss (P&L) categories, metrics and overall store contribution. This includes programming and services revenues.
- Drives the overall financial performance of the store by utilizing reporting tools and implementing strategies/tactics designed to improve store performance.
BRAND & OPS EXCELLENCE
- Build brand awareness and loyalty in the community through deep, strategic relationships.
- Demands high standards and holds self and others accountable by establishing clear responsibilities and processes for monitoring work and measuring results; unafraid to give difficult feedback and is willing to take action and address low performance
- Develop and rollout unique standard operating procedures created specifically for our new experience.
- Uphold and reinforce company SOP as it pertains to FE functions to improve efficiencies, deliver successful results, and minimize loss.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
The experience we’re looking for: – Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management, Communications, Marketing or related area – 5+ years of leadership experience – 5+ years of marketing, public relations or event experience – 3+ years of social media marketing experience – Proven business leader mindset, routed in customer service – Excellent communication, project management, operations, and organizational skills – A proven track record of leading a customer-first team – Strong relationship building experience – A passion for relentless improvement, embracing and driving positive change DICK’S Sporting Goods is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Inclusion and Diversity.
DICK'S Sporting Goods
YOU LIVE AND BREATHE SPORTS. SO DO WE.