OSS Community Manager, Apache Airflow
Astronomer is the commercial developer of Apache Airflow, a community-driven open-source tool that’s leading the market in data orchestration. We’re a globally-distributed and rapidly growing venture-backed team of learners, innovators and collaborators. Our mission is to build an Enterprise-grade product that makes it easy for data teams at Fortune 500’s and startups alike to adopt Apache Airflow. As a member of our team, you will be at the forefront of the industry as we strive to make Apache Airflow the de-facto standard in data orchestration.
Your background may be unconventional; as long as you have the essential qualifications, we encourage you to apply. While having "bonus" qualifications makes for a strong candidate, Astronomer values diverse experiences. Many of us at Astronomer haven't followed traditional career paths, and we welcome it if yours hasn't either.
About this role
Apache Airflow is the world's largest data engineering open source project, with millions of monthly downloads, hundreds of thousands of users, and an incredibly active and robust community of contributors.
We’re looking for a community manager to take the Apache Airflow community to the next level. As the community manager for OSS Airflow, you will own crafting a welcoming and inclusive brand, voice, and experience for everyone in the Apache Airflow community. You will elevate voices in the community, manage online forums, help plan in-person events, and support everything in between.
What you get to do:
- Be the face of Apache Airflow for Astronomer.
- Build authentic relationships with advocates by interacting with, supporting and celebrating Community users on a daily basis, inclusive of first time Airflow committers, end users, and platform engineers.
- Foster an inclusive environment, and be a welcoming presence in the Airflow Slack channel, Stackoverflow, and other virtual real estate.
- Be responsible for processes applying Astronomer resources for helping open source users.
- Organize meetups, events, and other in-person gatherings, as well as virtual community events
- Distill and feed intel from the community into a content strategy focused on new features and use cases
- Elevate the voice of end users within the community and company
- Help Build, track and communicate Community KPIs to influence decisions and priorities
What you bring to the role:
- Vision for growing cohesive and active OSS communities
- Understanding of the dynamics between OSS-driven companies and the OSS communities they support
- Willingness to travel for 25% of the year, primarily but not exclusively in North America
- Top-tier written and verbal communication
- Presentation skills and an appreciation for public speaking
- A love of problem solving
Bonus points if you have:
- 5+ years of managing OSS software communities
- Experience with Airflow
- A love of creating developer centric content
The estimated salary for this role ranges from $125,000 - $200,000, along with an equity component. This range is merely an estimate, and the width of the range reflects willingness to consider candidates with broad prior seniority. Actual compensation may deviate from this range based on skills, experience, and qualifications.
At Astronomer, we value diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer: we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Astronomer is a remote-first company.
Modern Data Orchestration