Head of Developer Relations and Community
We are expanding our team! You can live anywhere in the U.S. and Canada, or from another country if specified in the job posting.
Temporal is growing, and we welcome great people to enable our growth. We are looking for those who share our values, challenge 'standard' thinking and want to influence our future. If you want to be part of an amazing team, have a passion for open-source software, and a desire to build strong developer communities, then come join us!
Temporal helps developers focus on the important things, like writing business logic, and spend less time worrying about the underlying infrastructure. We have a great open-source community filled with awesome developers (who are also our users!) providing us with real-time feedback and contributions. Temporal is backed by top VC firms, with a well built team of professionals from various successful start-ups and well-known technology companies. We always work toward building the best community, and if these things interest you too, we’d love to hear from you.
Temporal is searching for a leader of its Developer Relations and Community team. Temporal is an open-source durable execution system: a platform built by developers for developers. Four years after the project’s founding, Temporal is used by more than 150,000 backend developers on a weekly basis to build, deploy and run some of the world’s most valuable services and applications. The Developer Relations & Community team is an essential pillar of Temporal’s strategy to bring durable execution to the next 10 million developers.
The mission of the Developer Relations team is to find and engage with software developers who have the skills and requirements to benefit from Temporal but don’t yet know of Temporal or the power of durable execution. To do this, the Developer Relations team:
- Develops content (sample applications, architecture concepts, demos)
- Engages in live events (speaking at 3rd party events, facilitating Temporal meetups)
- Elevates the successes of Temporal users and champions
In each case, the team’s goal is to build a bridge that maps the technologies, practices and patterns that a developer already knows to the simpler, easier & more reliable way to develop with Temporal.
The Developer Relations team works alongside Education (creates and maintains courses, certifications, tutorials, guides and knowledgebase) and Marketing (drives events, campaigns and web marketing that are platforms for Developer Relations to leverage and contribute to).
What you'll do
- Hire, mentor, grow and inspire a global team of developer advocates and community managers. This team is 3 individuals today with a plan to be at 5 by the end of this year with continued growth in 2024
- Work with the developer advocate team to build new bridges between Temporal and the engineering communities most receptive to the features and benefits of Temporal’s platform
- Develop and manage programs in partnership with product and engineering that facilitate a growing, healthy community of Temporal users and champions
- Work with the Temporal sales team to expand Temporal’s adoption in the organizations and regions where they operate
- Oversee a scalable program to highlight new and different ways for how teams and applications can benefit from incorporating Temporal and durable execution
- Define and maintain the health of the Temporal developer community in collaboration with the Engineering and Developer Success teams
- Create and manage a global champions program that deepens Temporal’s connection to our most enthusiastic users and comes up with new and better ways to invest in them
- Contribute to continually improving Temporal’s developer experience by consolidating user feedback and channeling it into - - Temporal’s product development process.
What you'll bring to us
- Establishes quality connections with backend developers and application architects, actively champions their accomplishments, and understands how to cultivate a sense of community and belonging among them
- Knows how to make Temporal users and Temporal’s engineers the stars of the show
- Can play the role of servant leader for a fast growing, technically experienced developer community
- “Structured experimenter” - with different channels and modes of communication and with different communities and appeals
- Has an eye for ethical, talented, technical hustlers - the basis of our dev advocate team
- Effective at maintaining partnerships with product, engineering, marketing, sales. Finds ways to get leverage from and provide leverage to these other teams
- System builder of an organization that produces a fundamentally creative output
- Willingness to travel up to 35%. Live interactions are an important element of Temporal’s developer relations program
- Naturally curious and always looking for clues in anecdotes and in data
- Entrepreneurial spirit who is committed to a goal but flexible on the means
- Actively write content, pitch, use the product, staff the booth, and more
- Generous person who enjoys celebrating the success of others
$185,000 - $269,000 a year
- Unlimited PTO, 12 Holidays & 2 Floating Holidays
- 100% Premiums Coverage for Medical, Dental / Ortho, and Vision Benefits
- AD&D, LT & ST Disability, and Life Insurance (Standard & Supplemental Available)
- 401K Plan
- Up to 20 weeks of parental leave for birth parents and 12 weeks of leave for non-birth parents, including adoptive and foster parents
- $1,500 / Year Career Development & Learning Stipend
- $1,200 / Year Lifestyle Spending Account
- $1,000 / Year In-Home Office Setup (In addition to Temporal issued equipment - laptop, monitor, keyboard, mouse, trackpad, and extension power cable at no cost to you)
- $500 / Year Professional Memberships
- $300 / Month Work From Home Meals
- $74 / Month Reimbursement for Internet
- Calm App Subscription for Mental Health & Wellness
- An "All Access" pass to a WeWork location
What Team Members are Doing at Temporal
Collaborating across teams to improve the developer experience, deliver world-class open-source software, engage with and support our user community, and enhance our commercial SaaS platform.
Temporal Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Temporal Technologies does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We embrace and celebrate differences and diversity.
We are not working with external recruitment agencies, thanks.
Build invincible apps.