Gradle is the build tool of choice for millions of developers around the globe and is the official build tool for Android applications.
Our software is used by some of the world's leading software organizations, such as Netflix, Airbnb, Spotify, and Twitter. We regularly collaborate with these and other users to make our products continuously better.
We are looking for a Developer Advocate for Gradle Build Tool. The person in this role will focus on sharing knowledge and fostering the community through high-traffic online channels as well as in person.
The person in this role will be responsible for Gradle Build Tool advocacy as a part of our Developer Relations and Education Team consisting of developer advocate, technical trainer, and technical writer. The team focuses on creation and delivery of educational and informational content, fostering the community, as well as collecting and organizing user feedback to inform engineering priorities. The person in this role will also work closely with technical evangelists responsible for our commercial product, Gradle Enterprise, with the opportunity to learn from very experienced and well-known advocates such as Trisha Gee and Baruch Sadogursky.
We are looking for someone who has the desire and capability to grow a deep understanding of the build automation domain so that they can help the entire community learn and grow. An ideal candidate would be able to build and refine an advocacy strategy of an extremely widely used open-source project, including how to most optimally leverage available channels and how to best position the product in the competitive landscape and industry trends.
We are determined to greatly intensive our advocacy efforts around Gradle Build Tool. While we have some established programs, there is much more that we aspire to do. We are looking for someone who can help us to redefine our approach and take our developer relations to the next level.
Being able to work on the above with a high degree of autonomy is a requirement. Additionally, e this roles provide an opportunity to lead our entire Developer Relations and Education Team, including technical trainer and technical writer. However, the main focus of this role is Developer Advocacy and taking on this additional leadership responsibility is not a requirement.
- Create and improve educational content about Gradle Build Tool such as blog posts, articles, videos, and samples
- Represent Gradle Build Tool speaking at conferences and events (up to 30% of the time)
- Write monthly newsletter to 100+ thousand subscribers
- Publish content to the Twitter channel with 35+ thousand followers
- Grow and manage the Gradle Fellowship community program
- Engage with the Gradle community on various channels like community Slack and forums
- Foster relationships with major open-source projects e.g. Kotlin, Spring
- Experience in a Developer Advocacy role
- Excellent writing and communication skills (in English)
- Software engineering background including Java/JVM development
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and tools
- Passion for developer tooling
- Strategic thinking skills
- Practical experience using Gradle
- Experience with other build systems such as Maven and Bazel
- Interest in developer productivity and build automation
- Experience in building and leading software developer communities
- Team leadership experience
- Anywhere in the world with working conditions that allow for seamless collaboration with your colleagues through email, chat, and video streaming
- While our team works remotely and is spread across the globe, we deeply value daily interactions and collaboration.
How to apply
The following is required with your application:
- Submit your cover letter and resume via the form below
- Explain in your cover letter why you want to advocate for Gradle
We are committed and skilled software engineers, product designers, and marketing experts who are passionate about developer productivity. We take pride in delivering products that are relied upon daily by some of the world's leading software organizations, such as Netflix, LinkedIn, Airbnb, Spotify, Twitter, and Atlassian.
We are a diverse and inclusive workplace with a global multicultural team that learns from and respects each other. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion forward by investing resources in company-wide inclusion trainings, improving recruitment processes and contributing to groups that are committed to advancing racial/social justice and equality.
Gradle is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, citizenship status, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age or any other applicable characteristics protected by law.
Improve the Developer Experience with Build & Test Performance Acceleration Technology and Analytics.